- This event has passed.
Camera Assistant Trainee Course – 2019
January 27 - January 31
9:00am – 5:00pmLocation: William F. White – 2073 Logan Ave | Unit 11 $380 About the workshop The purpose of the camera trainee course is to provide the basic set of skills needed to work on a Western-based union set (BC, AB, SK, MB, Yukon, Northwest Territories). This course is structured to give participants an introduction to cinematography within a union environment. The emphasis will be on the camera department, specifically the duties of a camera trainee who is working towards becoming a 2nd camera assistant. This course will be taught in a combination of lecture and hands on teaching techniques. The course will follow a typical day in the life of a trainee; from getting the call to work, arriving at the truck, going to set, and so on. Topics will include safety, protocol, equipment, marking, slating, and trainee duties on set. Upon successful completion of this trainee course, participants may be accepted into the IATSE 669 Camera Trainee Program. The ultimate aim of the trainee program is to produce working 2nd camera assistants in the IATSE 669 union whose skills and professionalism create a desirable environment for productions considering shooting in Western Canada. NOTE: While not required for this course, those wanting to pursue membership with IATSE 669 will be required to complete the following 3 online courses: Set Orientation, WHMIS, and Safety Awareness. Written and Practical Exam On the final day, participants will be expected to take and pass a final written and practical assessment. A passing grade of 80% and above is required to be formally accepted into the IATSE 669 Trainee Program.
APPLICATIONS: All applications must be submitted on 8.5 x 11 paper, and paper clipped in a full-size envelope. It is important that you do not staple anything, nor place in a binder or folder.
Applicants that have previously applied or have sent in incomplete applications must reapply with a new application.**
- Completed application form: Camera Trainee Application Form
- Letter of Intent, addressed to the attention of the Trainee Committee
- Resume must follow this format: Resume Template
- Minimum (3) reference letters
- Photocopies of the mandatory course certificates – WHMIS, Set Orientation, Set Safety (or registered date of courses. Please Note: Applicants who intend to work to in BC must also complete the “Motion Picture Safety 101 – General Safety Awareness (MPGSA)” through Actsafe, as this is mandatory for any individuals working under the BCCFU Master Agreement.
- Photocopy of valid driver’s license and proof of vehicle registration and insurance
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (Proof o Residency, Citizenship, Work Permit with no Restrictions)