- This event has passed.
EXPO 2017: Screenwriting Story Consultation & Career Coaching
November 6, 2017 @ 9:00 am - November 10, 2017 @ 5:00 pm$75
with Linda Coffey
Priced competitively, this will be the lowest rate for professional script consultants you’ll be able to find in North America.
Location: One-on-one Skype Session
During the one-on-one session, the instructor will work collaborative with the participants and provide feedback about the individual submitted narrative screenplays. In addition, the participants will receive valuable information on the current Canadian market place considerations.
Linda will address the projects strengths and weaknesses of the concepts, setting, story-structure, characters, and themes.
- This training session is first-come, first-serve.
- The deadline to apply is October 23, 2017 but participants are advised to submit the required materials and payment as soon as the course details have been posted.
- Do not submit the materials if you do not meet full eligibility requirements.
- The instructor will assign an individual one-on-one time-slot (60 minutes) from November 6 to 10, 2017.
- The deadline to submit the required materials is 3:00pm, October 23, 2017.
- All materials should be submitted in one digital document labeled with their full name (in Word or PDF format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This training is targeted for industry professionals that have experience in the professional media production industry.
- All genres are eligible and must be market driven narrative projects.
- The participants must be based in Manitoba.
- Projects with or without equity investment and/or distribution commitments are eligible.
- A maximum of 2 screenwriters per project will be allowed to take part in the Skype session.
- Submitted projects should be at a minimum of a second draft stage.
Participants must submit the following materials:
– A one-page cover letter with full contact information. This letter should detail the stage the script is currently in. Writers are to detail their perceived weakness on the project and how they can benefit from this lab.
– A current CV detailing the participants training and work experience in media productions.
– A PDF version of your script with the participants name and contact details of screenwriters. Scripts must be (a minimum of 80 to 120 pages maximum) and use of proper screenwriting formatting such as movie magic screenwriter and final draft.
About the Instructor
Linda Coffey is one of the very few story editors in Canada to have worked successfully in every aspect of both film and television development and production. After working as consultant to the Faculty of Commerce at UBC, Linda spent eight years as an Executive Script Consultant in charge of western-based drama development for the CBC. Here she was responsible for the development and production of both series and movie projects. Coffey left to have children and to again pursue her own writing. She has story edited and consulted on hundreds of hours of television and feature film projects. She was a freelance external drama consultant for the CBC (2003-2007) the only outside drama consultant the CBC has ever contracted. She was also an external project analyst with Telefilm for 12 years. She has also written a number of commissioned scripts for documentary films, feature films and television series. She was the creator of a children’s multi media web based environmental series. Linda has several projects currently in development. Linda has also designed and taught a number of Workshops and Master classes for film and television Writers and Directors. She has been a Guest Mentor with WIDC since 2006.
Film Training Manitoba Course Registration Policy
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older to register and attend the course.
- Participants must register in advance of the course. No drop-ins.
- Registration is on a first come, first served basis – unless otherwise specified. Enrollment may be limited.
- Registration for all courses, including weekend workshops, must be done between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (except holidays).
- All registrations must be received and confirmed in-person or by telephone with an FTM staff member during office hours.
- We do not confirm or accept registrations via email.
- Payment in full is required to secure a spot in an FTM course.
Registration can be done in one of two ways:
In Person – cash, cheque, VISA and MasterCard, and debit are accepted. (Please make cheques payable to Film Training Manitoba.) Our offices are located at 100 – 62 Albert Street, in Winnipeg’s Exchange District. We are open to the public Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
By Phone – VISA and MasterCard (credit & debit) only. Registrations are accepted via the main line at 204-989-9669.
*We do not confirm or accept registrations via email.
- Participants must cancel up to 4 full business days prior to the course start date to receive an 80% refund.
- No refund will be given to participants who cancel within 4 full business days before the course start date, or if they do not attend the course.
- Film Training Manitoba reserves the right to cancel, or postpone, any course where a minimum registration level has not been met. Participants registered for a course that is canceled will receive a full refund.