- This event has passed.
On Camera with Mackenzie Gray
February 17 @ 10:00 am - February 18 @ 5:00 pm
Saturday, Feb 17th & Sunday Feb 18th | 10am – 5pm
Location: Red River Princess Street Campus | Room P107
Regular fee – $135
ACTRA & Equity members and apprentices – $100
About the Workshop
During this two-day course the participants will learn about the technical and practical aspects of acting in film and TV, which are often excluded in “on-camera acting” courses.
Eye-lines, hitting your marks, multiple marks, lens size/focal plane awareness, business and action continuity, walking for the dolly, crossing (and NOT crossing) the axis and using the axis to simplify and create emotional expression are some of the key elements this course will cover.
Also covered will be how to “keep your camera”- when to keep your focus inward, when to look up to the person you’re speaking to, how to give the editors their “cut” etc. These techniques allow the actor to give the fullest performance possible in the very chaotic and fractured environment of a shooting set, because when the pressure is on, the 1st AD is pushing to make the shot, the director is getting frustrated, lots is going on, it’s hard enough just to act! Incorporating practical technique is what allows your acting to flow freely and flourish. If you have to work at remembering how to hit marks, keep tricky continuity business, remember your eyelines etc. then your acting suffers. It’s that simple.
The aim of the course is to ground the actor with technical skills to support and
enrich their acting abilities and their creative expression. The craft enables the art.
*Workshop Prep Required*
Participants will be required to submit a headshot and resume.
About the Instructor
A professional actor for over 40 years, MACKENZIE GRAY has appeared in over 150 films and television shows. He has acted in or directed over 100 plays on stage.
Mackenzie can be seen in the current season of RIVERDALE and Fargo and in the new DC COMICS series Legends of Tomorrow. He was seen as the Kryptonian scientist JAX-UR, in the Zack Snyder-directed Superman film Man of Steel and in IMAX Real 3-D in the film Metallica: Through the Never as the band’s Tour Manager.
Played a series lead for the TV show THE NET, he has appeared as a recurring guest star, guest or lead roles in many films and TV series, including SUPERNATURAL, THE HAUNTING HOUR, PSYCH, FRINGE, ALCATRAZ, SMALLVILLE, DA VINCI’S INQUEST, THE COLLECTOR, FIRST WAVE and countless TV movies. Cult film fans know him from GRAVE ENCOUNTERS and THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS. TV Movies and Mini-Series include IF THERE BE THORNS (For which he just received a Leo Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor), VOYAGE OF THE UNICORN, THE KENNEDYS, and many more.
He is also well known for his many Animation characters, including “Obadiah Stane” in Ironman, “Fangdam and Fangtam” in Ninjago, and “Gramorr” in NETFLIX’s LoliRocks.
Mackenzie has worked on stage in Canada, Britain and in the United States in hundreds of plays, musicals and cabarets. He was recently seen onstage in August: Osage County at The Stanley Theatre and in the Tom Waits rock opera The Black Rider, in Toronto and Vancouver. Mackenzie is a 17-time Leo Award nominee and recently won two Leos for his work on the TV series Spooksville and Bitten.
Film Training Manitoba Course Registration Policy
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older to register and attend the course.
- Participants must register in advance of the course. No drop-ins.
- Registration is on a first come, first served basis – unless otherwise specified. Enrollment may be limited.
- Registration for all courses, including weekend workshops, must be done between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (except holidays).
- All registrations must be received and confirmed in-person or by telephone with an FTM staff member during office hours.
- We do not confirm or accept registrations via email.
- Payment in full is required to secure a spot in an FTM course.
Registration can be done in one of two ways:
In Person – cash, VISA or MasterCard, and debit are accepted.
Our offices are located at 100 – 62 Albert Street, in Winnipeg’s Exchange District. We are open to the public Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
By Phone – VISA and MasterCard (credit & debit) only. Registrations are accepted via the main line at 204-989-9669. *We do not confirm or accept registrations via email.
- Participants must cancel up to 4 full business days prior to the course start date to receive an 80% refund.
- No refund will be given to participants who cancel within 4 full business days before the course start date, or if they do not attend the course.
- Film Training Manitoba reserves the right to cancel, or postpone, any course where a minimum registration level has not been met. Participants registered for a course that is canceled will receive a full refund.
Any footage recorded will be deleted in class and is solely for playback purposes only. No participants will be given footage.
Breaks and refreshments
All course participants are responsible for their own lunch.
Light refreshments will be provided